What we did to Revise & Rewrite the original WT Lesson
Back in 2015, we decided it was time to take the original volunteer team's work to a new level.
After hiring a professional Rotation-style lesson writer to work with us, we spent the next three years upgrading or replacing the original team's work. Now a new Team has begun writing new sets again under the auspices of a professional Lead Writer.
Here's what we did with the original WT sets:
- Every lesson was either rewritten or replaced using our new higher standard of creativity and teacher-helpful detail.
- We introduce new resources and new ways to teach in each workshop.
- We made sure lessons appeal to our older kids in grades 3-5, with plenty of "age appropriate" adaptations for younger students, and those with shorter class times.
- We added more instructions, "say this," and explanations for those teachers who need extra description.
- We re-wrote all the Bible Backgrounds with classroom-ready, teacher-friendly language and insights. Less "academic," they are more understandable to the average volunteer and more inspirational.
- We added more "in-lesson" explanations of key points and reasons why we are doing things a certain way.
- We made sure each lesson follows the set's teaching objectives, and that activities strongly relate to the teaching points and aren't just tangential.
- We added extra special lessons in each Lesson Set for those who want a "bigger splash."
We certainly appreciate the work of the original team which involved over 25 different writers (not working at the same time). But one of the philosophies of the Rotation Model and strengths of being a web-enabled ministry is that WE CAN and SHOULD CHANGE and IMPROVE.
Moving forward, the Team process and content will be more closely guided by our Lead Writer whose work is supervised by our all-volunteer Board of Directors. The cost of this Lead Writer's time and talent is one of the expenses our generous Supporting Members make possible.