Want to Join the Writing Team?
Read the following, then email Neil, the Writing Team's Lead Writer.
The Rotation.org Writing Team is a guided and collaborative process designed to train and inspire volunteer writers while producing new, extra-creative sets of lessons for our Supporting Members.
Working together, Team members learn how others think about Bible stories, come up with creative ideas, and turn them into activities and lesson plans.
Throughout the Team process, volunteers are guided by our Lead Writer and have the help and feedback of other Team members, including an Editor and a Resource person.
The Team works together in a private forum online.
Here are the details...
- We typically form three Teams a year (Mid-Winter, Early Summer, Mid-Fall) and would be asking you to join one of those Teams. (See the proposed schedule at the end of this post.)
- Each Team consists of three to four volunteer writers, a Lead Writer, an Editor, and a Team Resource Person. Currently, our Lead Writer is Neil MacQueen.
- Our new Team process provides training, guidance, and support to every volunteer writer at every stage of the lesson development process.
- Once you've written for the Team, you are invited to join future Teams. You'll also have the opportunity to help with smaller, shorter, and "less-trainy" Writing Team projects scheduled on occasion by our Lead Writer.
We value collaborative brainstorming and writing!
- Each writer participates in a private online discussion forum where we discuss the Bible Background for the story, share insights and lesson ideas, and provide feedback for each other on our individual lesson plans.
- Each writer is responsible for writing one complete lesson plan in the Writing Team style (which we train you in). The lesson plan drafting is done in collaboration with the Lead Writer who will walk you through the process and provide feedback and ideas.
- Each writer will also be asked to "assist" another writer with their lesson plan. We will encourage you to write your lesson using an activity/medium that you want to explore or learn more about; and then if you are able, assist another writer who's using a teaching medium you are strong in.
The Team Schedule
- Each Team signs on for an 8 week period. The first four weeks are the busiest.
- The first week in this timeline is "reading" week. We have created a number of documents for you to read. They include "how the Team works" and what you are committing yourself to. A Bible Background for the lesson set will be presented for your feedback and to prime your pondering. We also have training documents that help you with brainstorming and how to write a lesson in the Team's "workshop style."
- The Team process gets started with two weeks of collaborative brainstorming. This is an almost daily back-and-forth between all Team members. This process is guided by the Lead Writer and culminates in writing assignments.
- Next, you'll have up to three weeks to write your lesson plan. You'll work closely with the Lead Writer and have the services of our Resource Person to help you think through activities and supplies. You'll post a draft for other members of the Team to comment on.
- After everyone's final lesson drafts are posted, they go through a two-week editing process before going *Live* at our site.
No prior Rotation or lesson writing experience is required. We only require that our Team members love kids and the Word, have teaching experience, can write coherent sentences, love to think creatively, are flexible and open-minded, and can work with others in a timely manner.
"Timely participation" is important.
During the first two "brainstorming weeks," you will need to check the Team's private brainstorming forum every day or two and share and respond to ideas. Those who can't (or don't) participate in Team brainstorming may be dropped or asked to sign up for a future team when they have more time available.
Writing Team Schedule
- Mid-Winter 2019: Jesus Feeds the 5000
- Early Summer 2019: Angels and Shepherds
- Mid-Fall 2019: Lord's Prayer/Prayer
- Mid Winter 2020: Ten Commandments
- Early Summer 2020: Ruth
- Mid-Fall 2020: Fruit of the Spirit
Once the Team is formed, we ask team members what weeks during the Winter, Summer, and Fall would be best for them to begin the process, and try to come up with a START DATE that fits with most people's schedules.
Ready to join a Team or want to know more?
Email Neil MacQueen at firstname.lastname@example.org.