For those of you who own a copy (or are inclined to buy one) of
What's in the Bible? DVD #10: "Jesus is the the Good News!"
Episode 1 in DVD #10 presents a very good overview of the "Inter-testamental" period's events and groups in Israel that immediately precede and set the stage for the coming of the Messiah, i.e. the Birth of Jesus. Maccabees, Pharisees, Roman conquest, etc. It's all very kid-friendly and entertaining, while also being informative about the world Jesus was born into (and why it's important to know). While mostly for primary grades, I think youth and adults will get a lot out of this Episode too and enjoy the humor.
- Watch it in small groups.
- Lend it out to families (put it in a special bag with a list of "who to deliver it to next" included.)
Here's a brief outline of Episode 1 (25 minutes)
Chapter 1: Old Testament Recap (0:00)
- Michael in the car (funny, and actually pretty deep!)
- 1:49 mark, Theme Song
- 3:40 Buck and Phil begin the OT Recap "What have we learned from the OT?" (A good question to ask your kids.) "The OT is like a story without an ending."
- 6:40 "Why did God wait so long?" Pastor Bob and Church Lady explain the "fullness of time." Good section!
Chapter 2: Spread a Blessing (6:50 minute mark)
- Church lady and others continue to explain the gap between the Testaments and why God waited.
- 8:00 Alexander the Great changes the Middle East. How the Roman Empire took over and built roads.
- 11:00 "Pax Romana" How the Peace of Rome helped spread the blessing. Song.
Chapter 3: Four Jewish Groups (13:00 minute mark)
- What were the Jews doing while they waited for the Messiah?
- 13:55 Pirate's Guide to Jewish History: Pharisees, Sadducees, Zealots, Essenes
Chapter 4: Time for the New Testament (17 minute mark)
(Note: If you're short on time, or using this with very young children, you could skip Ch 4.)
Note: Supporting Members can access the PDF Guides to all 13 DVDs in the series HERE.