Jesus Calms the Storm
Art Workshop Sketch
Summary of Lesson Activity:
Students will create using watercolor paints.
Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41, Luke 8:22-25
Psalms 56:3, Psalm 23:4, Jeremiah 29:11, Nahum 1:7
Workshop Objectives — After completing this Rotation, participants will be able to:
- Recognize that God calms the storms in our lives, sometimes by calming the storm, and sometimes by calming us.
- Read Bible Background and scripture.
- Table covers
- Paint smocks
- Water color supplies - good quality water color paper, watercolor paint, palettes with compartmentalized paint wells, a variety of paint brushes, water containers (2 for every 2 students), cotton balls, hairdryer (optional), old shirts for smocks
- Pencils: should be soft (4B or 6B would be best) and Erasers: white plastic/vinyl type - cut them in half and share (DO NOT use the erasers on the end of pencils)
Advanced Preparation Requirements:
- Review techniques for using watercolors [opens a new window to another watercolor art project at Rotation.org. Scroll down to "techniques."]
- Cover tables and set up supplies.
- Find pictures and paintings of boats, ships, and ocean scenes, especially from the time of Jesus.
Opening- Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Open with prayer.
Dig: Main content and Reflection:
Read the story from your choice of the passages. Always tell the children where in the Bible the story is found.
DEFINITION: Miracle – A wonderful event that shows us the power of God. (For older) – An especially vivid moment when as a result of an unexpected and surprising event one becomes aware of the presence and power of God at work.
Paint with water colors!
As the students work discuss "storms" in our lives (anything that causes us to worry or be afraid) and how that God will be with us through all our difficult times.
Ask these questions:
- Did Jesus not know that a storm had come up?
- Does Jesus know about the storms that come up in our lives?
- What did Jesus do when the disciples woke him?
- What did the disciples think about this?
Close in prayer. Invite the children to come back next week for another workshop, and to bring a friend.
Water coloring supplies and techniques suggestions:
- Pauer, Lynne and Carol Hulbert. “A Walk on Water: Art Workshop." 2008, 2013.
A lesson written by Steve and Brenda Klusmeyer
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.
Printed from https://www.rotation.org