Summary of Lesson Activities:
Create a scene of baby Moses in the bullrushes inside a mini-clear fruit bowl.
- Read the scripture ahead of time.
- Become familiar with the project.
- Gather the materials.
- 2” Straw Hats (Pkg of 18) - $5.99 – (Craft Store in doll making section - Michael’s)
- New born Babies (pkg of 6) 3 x $3.49 – (Craft or Cake Decorating Store - Michael’s)
- Blue Sparkles (available in craft store - in jar you can shake)
- White Glue (one container per every two children)
- Blue Food Colouring (to mix in glue)
- Paintbrushes / Scissors / Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Rushes – 3 stems (purchase a fake reedy looking plant - Dollarama)
- Flat Blue Marbles (find in your local craft store - usually several come in a mesh bag )
- Mini clear Fruit Bowls (I found pkgs of 3 at Dollarama - also check local thrift stores). Size: Round - 3 ½” width top, 1 ½” high, 1 ½” base.
- Fish Stickers (with small stickers - shinier the better - Dollarama.)
Opening- Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Greet the children and introduce yourself and explain what they will be doing today.
Read the story from a children's book for younger children — older children take turns reading the story from their bible.
Dig-Main Content and Reflection:
- Beforehand: Mix a few drops of food colouring into glue and mix well. May want to do a small container for every two children to share.
- Each child will need:
• 6 marbles
• Straw Hat
• Small Piece of felt (1 ¼” x 1)
- Cut rim off of hat, throw out rim and keep rest of hat which becomes your basket.
- Take small piece of felt and glue inside one side of basket. Glue backside of baby then place into basket. Put some glue on babies tummy then tuck blanket around baby. Using a pencil or toothpick push fabric around baby leaving his head and arms out.
- Place a few fish stickers on outside edge of bowl, keep below top rim. (Note: may wish to put some stickers on the insideof the glass so when looking down you’d see the coloured fish rather than their shadow. We didn't do this, thus it's not shown in the photo. Next time...)
- Using paintbrush paint the blue glue along the whole inside only stop at bottom of top rim. Once sides are done place a little extra in the bottom (this will help hold marbles added Step 9).
- Take blue sparkles container and give it a very light dusting of sprinkles over glue – do over a plate in to collect in sprinkles that miss.
- Glue the basket in the center of the bowl. Paint the lower half of the basket with the blue glue. Place marbles around basket – be sure to place the marbles with round side down as this will go into the glue better. Marbles will help hold basket upright until glue dries.
- Cut the rushes into pieces (between 3” – 4" and dip one end into the glue, then place the gluey end into the bowl sliding it between two marbles – you may want to push the marbles closer together to help hold the rushes. Put 4 rushes together in the same spot and lean them against the basket, spreading them out a little at the top. Put at least 4 on each side of the basket.
- They will need to be left to dry until the following Sunday as trying to take them home at this stage they will lose their rushes.
End with a prayer and have the children assist with the cleanup before dismissal.
A lesson written by Luanne Payne from: Hampton United Church
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.