Lesson Extension Idea - Fishy Situations (for above lesson)
As an extension to this wonderful magnet activity, we put a "fishy situation" in each fish when we placed the magnet in the nose. The First-5th graders then took turns fishing. As they caught a fish, they read the "fishy situation" and the class discussed the situation to decide if the fish is a "keeper" or not--to show whether they are following Jesus. Some of the fishy situations were:
- When kids ask if you are a Christian, you say "No way, Man!"
- You forget to tell your sister that you scratched her favorite CD.
- You bring a friend to Sunday School.
- You made a mistake. Eventhough you'll get in trouble, you tell the teacher what you did.
- Kids are making fun of a new boy in school. You don't want to get involved.
- When your little sister asks you to play with her, you do. . .and you even have fun!
- You decide to try and read a Bible story each night before you go to bed.
- Betty starts telling others bad things about you. You tell Betty to stop and decide not to talk bad about her, even though it is very hard.
These fishy situations sparked some wonderful discussions about real-life situations the kids in our classes have been in.