A resource from member Jan of FPC Napa
"The Discipline Guide for Children's Ministry" is a good resource. Author is Jody Capehart, Group Publishing, 1997. ISBN: 1559456868. Here are a few brief ideas from it:
- Take time to develop relationships.
- Be an island of calm in their lives.
- Be a bastion of fairness with clearly defined boundaries that when violated have appropriate consequences.
- Work on one problem behavior at a time.
- Keep those having a rough day close by physically to you.
- Let all the words that come out of your mouth be kind words.
- Pray FOR and WITH them.
Jaymie Derden responded:
I really like the above-mentioned book. We used it to develop our Classroom Covenant (good biblical word, don't you think?) which we made into a handout and give to all teachers, shepherds and parents. We also created posters which are in every room which provide a visual reminder for kids and adults about the need to be consistent.