Computer Lessons, Ideas, and Activities for Teaching the Story of Joseph in Sunday School
Post your computer Sunday School lessons, ideas, and activities for the Joseph Story here.
Summary of Lesson Activities:
In this workshop, the learners will review KEY VERSES* from Joseph's Story using Cal and Marty's Scripture Memory Game CD from Sunday Software.
*Editor's Note: The teacher may determine what these "key" verses are, but better yet, have the students search their Bibles for what THEY think are the key verses in the story.
You may also invite the kids to "Imagine that they wrote the story of Joseph" and MAKE UP their own "key verses" to put in Cal and Marty's Scripture Memory Game CD.
- The software will be loaded on all computers. You may want to try the program yourself to familiarize yourself with it. Basically, this lesson will be “learner driven” and you will need to be there to assist them if they need it. All the memory verses are printed for you in Attachment 2.
- Cal and Marty (Sunday Software)
Greet the children and introduce yourself. Remember that you are interacting with a different group of students each week—some may not know you. Wear your nametag and make sure that the children are wearing theirs.
Open with a prayer.
- Begin in the blue room. Have the children retell the story of Joseph (both parts). They can do this together, each telling part of it.
- Ask the children if they remember the other stories they have learned this past year. Have them begin naming them, and write them on the newsprint. See if anyone would like to recite any of the memory verses they learned. Allow them to do so if they wish.
- Tell the children that today they will review all the memory verses from all stories this past year, including this one. They will be using a computer program called “Cal & Marty’s Scripture Memory Game.”
- Have them choose a computer station and begin the game using the instructions in the attachment at each station. If there are more than 4 children, they will have partners and must take turns unscrambling verses. They can, however, help each other with the task.
When the children have reviewed all verses, or it has reached 10:20, have the children “End Game” and “Exit Game” and return to the blue room. Let them tell you some of their scores if they want. Ask for volunteers to say memory verses aloud, or choose some and say them together.
Help the shepherd pass out the journals. Ask the children to write the name of their favorite story from this year and tell why they liked it the best.
Say a prayer of your own to close the workshop, or use the following:
Gracious and loving God, we are glad we learned about you in our workshops this year. We know you are always with us, in good times and in bad times. Thank you for your presence and your love. Amen.
Have the children help you tidy up the workshop space, replacing the CDs in their cases and shutting down the computers. Dismiss them with instructions about where they are to go.
Adjustments for Younger/Older Children:
Younger children may need more help navigating the game. Be sure to help them with that as well as with the unscrambling of the verses.
- Click on the “Cal & Marty” icon. Listen to the introduction. At the start screen, enter your name and click “Start Game.”
- Following Cal’s statement, click on “Help” and read over some of the instructions for playing the game. (Follow the instructions on the screen for navigating help.)
- Go back to the game and click “Select Verse.” Select “bhaven.txt” from the Verse Sets and select the memory verse you’d like to try. Follow Cal’s instructions and try as many memory verses as you can in the time allotted. Feel free to ask for Cal’s or Marty’s help, but remember, it will add to your score!
Editor's Note: The bhaven.txt verse file recommended in this lesson were created in the software by the teacher. You will have to do this as well. Better yet, have the KIDS identify key verses and edit them into the Cal & Marty Verse Editor, then take turns playing their own verse games, ...have your students switch computers to play other workstation's verse set. For more details about creating verse sets and teaching with them, consult the teaching guide to Cal and Marty's Scripture Memory Game CD from Sunday Software)
Cal & Marty’s Scripture Memory Game, c. 2002, Sunday Software and SONsoft.
A Sunday School lesson written by Jan Marshall from: Brookhaven Church.