Walk-Through Drama Workshop: "The Places In Psalm 23"
Summary of Lesson Activities:
Originally suggested as a small table-top "diorama" "shoe box" story kit creation in an Art Workshop, here we are creating a BIG diorama....the spaces of Psalm 23 in various locations in our classroom
- The children will understand the PLACES of Psalm 23 and what they mean to sheep like us!
- Read the scripture ahead of time
- Gather the materials
- White zippered Pillow Cases
- White string
- Canvas Tarps
- Blue Tarps
- Green Carpeting
- Polyester fill
- Safety Pins
Opening-Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Greet the children and introduce yourself.
Open with a prayer.
Dig-Main Content and Reflection:
It is "A WALK THROUGH PSALM 23."
Places in Psalm 23 that your students will create:
- Green Pastures
- Still Waters
- Paths of Righteousness
- Valley of Darkness
- Table in the Presence of My Enemies
- Dwell in the House of the Lord
You will need a lot of misc supplies, canvas tarps, blue tarps, green carpeting.
For "sheep" at each location, you will be giving each location a white zippered pillow case and some white string to create a goofy looking sheep.
- Loosely fill the pillow case with polyester fill, and then have the students create a back sent of legs and front by wrapping the string around the pillow case tightly.
- Do the same for the head and tail.
- Now give them a swatch of cotton to create ears and safety pin those on. Draw EYEBALLS and EYEBROWS with a black marker that express what the sheep is thinking in that particular place.
Of course, these are normal supplies in the Rotation Model Drama Workshop! ..and can be used for future dramas as well. Stock up!
1. Put up a sign to mark the locations in the room(s) where each of the six areas will be constructed. Note: You should consider using your Fellowship Hall so that adults can "walk through the Psalm" too.
2. Take a stroll to each location with your students. Briefly talk about the imagery and meaning of each location. And talk about what might be going through the Sheep's Mind (our mind) in that "life situation". Yes, definitely create a LIFE APPLICATION TO EACH PLACE.
- Where do we go for still waters?
- Where are the scary places in your life?
3. Now ASSIGN the kids to the six spaces. Tell them they have 15 minutes to create their Psalm 23 Location and 10 minutes to make their sheep.
This is an excellent spot for extra helpers, shepherds, teens.
Wander around during this time making Psalm 23 connections!
4. Once everyone is done, as a group TRAVEL THE PLACES OF PSALM 23. When the group arrives at a place, have the creators of that place do the reading of the Psalm line.
5. Suggest some final improvements, and have some ADULTS mysteriously appear asking for a TOUR. Have the kids stay at their station, and invite the adults to ask questions.
End with a prayer.
An idea originally posted by Rev Will Heyward with Neil MacQueen.
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.