Summary of Lesson Activities: Uses Pixar’s Cars.
Scripture Reference: Ecclesiastes 2:17-26
- Read the scripture ahead of time.
- Gather the materials.
- Cars DVD
Opening-Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Greet the children and introduce yourself.
Open with a prayer.
Dig-Main Content and Reflection:
Lesson: The book of Ecclesiastes talks about all the different ways that people try to make themselves happy. In the end it concludes that happiness is not found in things, but in serving God. We are going to watch the movie Cars, in which a racecar named Lightening McQueen learns that money, fame, and stuff will not make him happy.
Show the movie.
Time Constraints Options:
#1 - Skip scenes: 3 (Rust-eze), 7 & 8 (Where’s McQueen? & The Impound), 10 & 11 (Bessie & Customers!), 16 (Tractor tipping), 20 (Breakfast at Flo’s) and 31 & 32 (Back on the Map & Epilogue).
#2 - If you cannot show the entire movie, you can summarize the plot and show only Chapters 21-23 (Drive with Sally – ‘Our Town').
Questions for Discussion:
- What did Sally teach Lightening about living life “in the fast lane”?
- What did else Lightening learn in this movie?
- Why doesn’t stuff like money and fame make you happy?
- Read Ecclesiastes 2:17-26. What did the man in the bible learn?
- Who is the only person who can truly make us happy and give us meaning in our life?
End with a prayer.
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.