Games Workshop Idea
Summary of Lesson Activities:
The 5 W’s Game
II Kings 2:1-22
- Large die - with Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How? written on it
- Glue different colored card stock on each side of a small ‘cube’ cardboard box (colors corresponding to the set of cards)
- Write the 5 W’s with marker on the six sides – (Who?, what?, when?, where?, why?, how? - one per side, on coordinating colors)
- Set of cards - with questions in each of the categories –colors matching that on the die
- Read the scripture ahead of time.
- Gather the materials.
Opening- Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Greet the children and introduce yourself.
Open with a prayer.
Dig-Main Content and Reflection:
How to play:
- Divide into 2 teams or play ‘each man for himself.’
- Players take turns rolling the die, then answer a question from the corresponding pile of question cards.
- Determine ahead of time there will be a point value to the questions, (ex: 3 points for correct answer, 2 points if help needed from teammates, 1 point if need to look it up in the Bible.)
- If cards run out in any category, pick a question from a different category.
- Tell the kids to pay attention to the other questions. Sometimes 2 questions are very similar.
Who questions: (Red)
- Who said to Elisha, “Do you know the Lord will take your master away from you today? (Companies of prophets, students of the seminary)
- Who shouted, “My father! My father! The chariots of Israel and their horsemen! (Elisha – he had seen Elijah being taken from him.)
- Who wanted to go look for Elijah after the Lord had taken him? (Prophets at Jericho)
- Who said he would not leave Elijah’s side? (Elisha)
- Who came to Elisha and said that the water of their city was bad and unproductive? (The men of Jericho)
- Who healed the water at Jericho? (Elisha, with God’s help)
What questions: (Blue)
- What is a mantle? (A cloak or coat)
- What appeared to separate Elijah from Elisha when Elijah went to heaven? (Chariot and horses of fire)
- What does it mean to “pass the mantle”? (Give it to someone else)
- What did Elisha say to Elijah when Elijah told him to stay in Gilgal? (I will not leave you.)
- What was Elisha’s answer when Elijah said, “What can I do before I am taken from you? (Leave me a double share of your spirit.)
- What did Elisha do after Elijah had ascended in the chariot? (Tore his clothes, shouted, “My father! My father! The chariots of Israel and their horsemen!
When questions: (Green)
- When did Elijah say to Elisha, “What can I do before I am taken from you? (After crossing the river on dry ground.)
- When did the prophets realize that Elisha now had the power that Elijah had before? (When Elisha parted the river.)
- When did the chariot and horses of fire appear? (As Elijah and Elisha were walking and talking together.)
- When did Elijah say Elisha would inherit a double portion of spirit/power? (When and if Elisha was able to see when the Lord took Elijah.)
- When did Elisha say, “Didn’t I tell you not to go?” (After the 50 men came back and had not been able to find Elijah.)
- When Elijah struck the Jordan River with his mantle, what happened? (The water divided.)
Where questions: (Purple)
- Where were Elijah and Elisha leaving? (Gilgal, Bethel, or Jericho)
- Where did God tell Elijah to go? (Bethel)
- Where did Elijah take off his coat, hit and divide the water? (The Jordan River)
- Where did Elisha heal the water so that it would no longer cause death or miscarriage? (Jericho)
- Where did the 50 prophets go to look for Elijah? (Mountains and valleys)
- Where was the Lord going to take Elijah? (Heaven)
Why questions: (Yellow)·
- Why didn’t Elisha want to talk about God taking his master that day? (He didn’t want Elijah to go.)
- Why did Elisha tear his clothes after Elijah was gone? (To show how sad he was.)
- Why did Elisha let the 50 men go look for Elijah? (He no longer had the heart to say No, and this way the authority and truth of his words would be confirmed/understood.)
- Why did Elisha throw salt in the water at Jericho? (To cleanse and heal it.)
- Why did Elisha say, “Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah?” at the river? (To show that he now had the power that Elijah had had.)
How questions: (Orange)
- How did God take Elijah to heaven? (By a whirlwind, a fiery chariot and horses of fire.)
- How many times did Elisha say, “I will not leave you?” (3)
- How did Elijah say Elisha would receive the double share? (By seeing Elijah taken from him.)
- How did Elisha heal the water at Jericho? (By throwing salt into it – with God’s help.)
- How many prophets at Jericho went to look for Elijah? (50)
- How many days did the 50 prophets look for Elijah? (3)
End with a prayer.
Idea from Cindy Merten @ rotation.org
Questions and revisions by Linda Norem – for non-profit use
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.