John the Baptist
Summary of Lesson Activities:
A Jesus jeapardy game.
- Jeopardy Game Board set up with game pieces
- Flip chart and marker to record scores
- Read the scripture ahead of time.
- Gather the materials.
Opening-Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Begin class by taking attendance and introducing yourselves.
Begin with this prayer or one of your own:
Dear God, We thank you for the wonderful story of John the Baptist and the baptism of Jesus. Help us to be witnesses of your mercy and grace. Amen.
Dig-Main Content and Reflection:
SAY: We’ve been studying the story of John the Baptist and the Baptism of Jesus. Today we are going to play the John the Baptist Jeopardy Game. In a minute I am going to divide you into two teams. Each team will take turns choosing and answering questions. You will take turns answering for your team, but the team must come up with an answer together. For each correct answer your team will get the points for that question. If you answer incorrectly, points will not be taken away, but the other team will have an opportunity to answer. Teams will take turns whether you answer correctly or not. (Instead of keeping going as long as you answer correctly.)
Divide the class into two groups, being sure each team includes kids from all 3 age groups. Have teams sit together. The team on your right begins.
SAY: The categories are:
3. Who Said It?
5. True or False? (double points if you can state a false statement correctly)
Now let’s begin John the Baptist Jeopardy!
[The answers for each question are in ( ) below.] Keep score on the chart.
John the Baptist and The Baptism of Jesus Jeopardy Game
- Who? 100 Who was Zacharias? (The father of John the Baptist)
- Who? 200 Who was Elisabeth? (The mother of John the Baptist, or cousin of Mary the mother of Jesus)
- Who? 300 Who was Gabriel? (The angel who announced to Zacharias that he and Elisabeth would have a son.)
- Who? 400 Who was Herodius? (King Herod’s wife)
- Who? 500 Who spied on John the Baptist? (Pharisees)
- What 100 What did Zacharias and Elisabeth long for? (A child)
- What 200 What happened to Zacharias when he did not believe the angel? (Couldn’t speak)
- What 300 What did the Holy Spirit come down as at the baptism of Jesus? (a dove)
- What 400 What did Jesus want John to do for him? (Baptize him)
- What 500 What did Gabriel tell Zacharias to name his son? (John)
- Where? 100 Where did Zacharias see the angel? (The temple.)
- Where? 200 Where did John the Baptist baptize Jesus? (Jordan River)
- Where? 300 Where did John the Baptist live? (In the wilderness)
- Where? 400 Where did Zacharias go to burn incense? (The temple)
- Where? 500 Where did a voice come from after Jesus was baptized? (heaven)
Who said it?
- Who said it? 100 “Behold, the Lamb of God! He takes away the sin of the world.” (John the Baptist)
- Who said it? 200 “You will be silent and unable to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words.” (The Angel Gabriel)
- Who said it? 300 “Don’t collect any more than you are required to.” (John the Baptist)
- Who said it? 400 “You brood of vipers!” (John the Baptist)
- Who said it? 500 “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” (God)
True or false?
- True or false? 100 The angel Gabriel appeared to Zacharias in the temple. (T)
- True or false? 200 John only preached about Jesus in the city. (F—he preached in all the country around the Jordan)
- True or false? 300 Jesus baptized John. (F—John baptized Jesus)
- True or false? 400 Elisabeth went to visit Mary before John was born. (F—Mary went to see Elisabeth.)
- True or false? 500 Zacharias could not see when he left the temple. (F—he couldn’t speak)
End with a prayer.
A lesson written by Mary Ann Bethea from: Joy Lutheran Church
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.