- Wide mouth gallon pickle or food jar
- A plastic bag of ice that will fit over the jar opening
- A pitcher of warm water
- Sheet of black paper
1. "We are going simulate the forming of a cloud."
2. Have a student tape the black piece of paper onto one side of the jar.
3. Ask another student to pour the warm water into the jar until it is one third full. (you might want to mark the jar beforehand)
3. (Teacher) Light a match and hold it in the jar for a few seconds and then drop it in. At this point, have a student ready to quickly cover the jar with the bag of ice.
4. Have another student shine the flashlight on the jar.
With older students (4th graders and up), I would let the kids do this in small groups, but have an adult close to each group or every two groups. (In this setting, I would only allow the adult to have the matches.)