Video, A-V Lessons, Ideas, and Activities for Teaching the Story of Joseph in Sunday School
Post your video, A-V Sunday School lessons, ideas, and activities for the Joseph Story here.
Summary of Lesson Activities:
Watch the "Joseph in Egypt" by Nest Family followed by questions/discussion.
Post the two Bible memory verses (Psalm 46:1 and Psalm 9:10); the children should already have their own copies. Repeat these two verses with the class before beginning to teach the lesson.
- Read the scripture ahead of time.
- Gather the materials.
- Have the video ready to go.
- Pop the popcorn
- "Joseph in Egypt" by Nest Family
Opening-Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Welcome the children and their guide(s) to the workshop, introduce yourself, and open in prayer. Please try to start on time and end on time, and focus your attention on the children.
Dig-Main Content and Reflection:
Teach the lesson as a brief review, asking for children to volunteer what they remember of the various parts of the story before you show the video.
WRITE on the Board several "Questions to Answer" and "Things to Look for" in the video. (get your questions from the discussion questions below).
Show the video Animated Stories: Joseph in Egypt by Nest Entertainment (1990).
- Did the video differ from the Biblical story of Joseph, and if so, tell how.
- In what ways did you see that God was present with Joseph both as a youth in Jacob’s household and as a young man in Egypt.
- How did the events of Joseph’s life help prepare him to be a ruler in Egypt?
- How did Joseph “give God the glory” in Egypt?
- How was Joseph humble in his attitudes and actions, and what was the consequence of this humility?
- Why do you think God values humility?
Journal: Answer the questions: What does “pride” mean to you? What does “humility” mean to you? Why do you think God values humility?
End with a large circle of prayer. Remind children that next week we start a new rotation, and to come with their Bible and a friend.
NOTE: We do our video workshop all together on the last Sunday of rotation, serving popcorn with the video. Sometimes we add a “games” section at this time; we also precede and follow the video with a brief discussion. We have a drawing for “attendance prizes”. Each week of rotation the children put their names on tickets that are saved for the fourth Sunday, when there is a drawing for prizes. Sometimes we also add a missionary story feature to the video Sunday to teach about the places that our Sunday school offering is used (it’s all used in missions).
A Sunday School lesson written by rotation.org member "lerner" from: Silverdale UMC