Outline of the Four Elijah Stories in the Super Set
This list comes from the Storytable~Lego Lesson Plan but can be useful in other workshops as well.
Story 1: 1 Kings 17:1-24, Elijah and the Widow of Zarephath
- Elijah travels outside of Israel to Zarephath, which is near Sidon (Jezebel's hometown).
- There is a severe drought.
- Elijah meets a starving widow and her son who only have enough food for one more meal.
- Elijah performs a miracle --making their jars of flour and oil not run out of flour or oil.
- The widow's son becomes ill and dies.
- Elijah prays to God and the son comes back to life.
- The widow declares Elijah to be a true prophet of the true God.
Story 2: 1 Kings 18:2-46, Elijah, Ahab, and the Prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel
- Elijah tells the people of Israel to make a choice, either God or Baal.
- Elijah challenges King Ahab and the Prophets of Baal to a contest on Mt Carmel to see whose God is the real God.
- The Prophets dance around their bull but nothing happens.
- Elijah calls down fire from heaven to ignite his pile of watered down wood and bull.
- Ahab chases Elijah off the mountain and into the wilderness where Elijah is revived by angels.
Story 3: 1 Kings 19:1-16, Elijah and Still Small Voice at Mt Horeb Cave
- Elijah enters a cave at Mt Horeb, complains to God that nobody listens, and wants to die.
- God calls Elijah outside, sending wind, earthquake, and fire on the ground (which the Lord was "not in"), then a still small voice.
- Elijah complains again, but God tells him to go find helpers, including Elisha who will become the next prophet.
Story 4: 2 Kings 2:1-14, Elijah recruits Elisha, Chariot of Fire, the Mantle across the Jordan
- Elijah finds Elisha plowing his family's field and throws his mantle over him as a call to follow.
- Elisha first cooks a dinner for his family and Elijah, then goes with Elijah
- Three times Elijah tells Elisha to "stay behind" while he goes on, but Elisha refused to leave his master's side.
- Elijah asks Elisha, "What do you want from me before I die?" Elisha asks for a "double portion" of Elijah's spirit.
- They cross the Jordan on dry land, and a chariot of fire appears to take Elijah into heaven in a whirlwind, leaving his mantle behind. Elisha cries out in loss.
- Elisha picks up the mantle, strikes the Jordan asking, "where is the God of my father Elijah?" God answers by making the river water part for Elisha to cross back into Israel and continue his mentor's mission.
From the Rotation.org Writing Team