Skip to main content

Looking for lessons on 2 Peter 1:1-11 and resources to use to put a lesson together.  Right now I am working with adults but also looking for any resources.  Below is a statement about the passage that started me looking.

.” The concept of divinization is founded on 2 Peter 1:4: “He has given us something very great and wonderful . . . you are able to share the divine nature!” This is Christianity’s core good news and transformative message.

Last edited by Luanne Payne
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Linda.

So this is for adults?  Are you looking for discussion points or activities?

One activity would be for pairs or small groups to answer these questions and then compare what groups come up with. This avoids "group think." 

There are also some "heavy" words here that people may not know what they really mean (or have a limited understanding of). "Corruption" for example, "Divine nature." "Election." Be ready to define those (use a theological dictionary, such as Holman's.

For example, a lot of bad theology has been created from a misreading of 2 P 1:4. ..."participate in the divine nature."  The word "participate" is actually the familiar and well-known word "koinonia" = "fellowship"  "companion." It doesn't mean we "become" divine, it means we are in fellowship with the divine, -a tie that binds so to speak. But people often get that terribly wrong.  "Corruption" is another misunderstood word concept. It means "death, misery."

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 

WHAT is the "everything" that God has he given us?   I'm sure many people don't feel like they have enough of whatever "everything" is. 

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

WHAT are those promises? 

HOW do we "participate" in the divine nature?  (and what is the "divine nature" he's talking about)?

Does anybody REALLY feel like they have "escaped corruption"?  I'd be surprised if they did. So what does this really mean?

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 

This is a good "list" ...what other things have your people found helpful to keep from being "ineffective and unproductive."

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

I would ask those in class who are "nearsighted" to explain to others what they think this means.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Do we ever really "NEVER" STUMBLE"?  Is that realistic? What is the writer driving at?

Last edited by Neil MacQueen

Hi, Linda!

Definitely a lot of "heavy" words. Something that may be helpful to your students (especially if you have teens or younger in addition to your adults) along with the word study suggested by Neil is reading the passage in different translations (such as New Living Translation) and also a paraphrase like The Message

For activities, spend a bit of time learning about Peter, the writer of the letter. Talk about the Epistles and letter writing in general. Then, after your Bible study outlined by Neil above, have the students write a letter of their own -- maybe a letter encouraging another believer. 

Are these the sorts of lesson suggestions you are looking for?

This is great start!  I have no definite plans when I will use this as a lesson, but when I do I will let you know how it went.  I will also post my lesson plan.  I have been trying to develop more spiritual life practices and I believe that is one way to "participate in the divine nature." (grow in fellowship with God).  One of my goals is encourage my students to develop their spiritual life.

Looking forward to seeing how you work it out.

Just so happened that I was posting the following meme with comments and a song in our Prayer Resources topic this morning. 

prayer-meme

The spiritual point of view implicit in the meme stands in contrast to 2 Peter's "do this and this" approach to faith "to possess these qualities in increasing measure."  "...if you do these things, you will never stumble..."   2 Peter's approach is a sort of "spirituality by works," whereas, the meme leans more in the direction of what Paul wrote in Philippians that Christ being found in human form emptied himself and humbled himself.  I can relate to that because I find myself in "human form" all too often! ...and in need of spiritual rest and comfort from that (Matthew 11:28-30).

There are several rich and divergent traditions to "spiritual practices" -- each with its scriptural underpinnings, and each of which may be a better match for some people, situations, and times of life.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • prayer-meme
Last edited by Neil MacQueen

That was a great "meme" ??  Not familiar with that word, but the picture and words are great.  I do slides for our worship service.  You can bet that the meme is going to be included somewhere.  Paul and Peter 2 sides of the same coin. You can't spend the coin without both sides (spiritual practice leads to action and service to God, but not without God's presence and direction)  I like the idea of contrasting Paul and Peter thank you for your time and comments.

God Bless

KenLin234 

Add Reply

Post a New Topic
Lesson or Resource
Rotation.org Inc. is a volunteer-run, 100% member supported, 501(c)3 non-profit Sunday School lesson ministry. You are welcome to borrow and adapt content for non-commercial teaching purposes --as long as both the site and author are referenced. Rotation.org Inc reserves the right to manage, move, condense, delete, and otherwise improve all content posted to the site. Read our Terms of Service. Get a free Registered Membership or become a Supporting Member for full access to all site resources.
Rotation.org is rated 5 stars on Google based on 51 reviews. Serving a global community including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, S. Africa, and more!
Link copied to your clipboard.