Your church families may be missing out on weekly Advent services or a special Advent Lessons and Carols service this year due to COVID restrictions. Here are some ideas that you can share with your families so that they can create their own Advent celebration at home.
A traditional “Lessons and Carols” service has a Scripture reading followed by a hymn or song sung by the choir or congregation. We’ve provided a number of Scripture readings and included a link to a music video. We’ve also included some questions and activities to help your children better understand the readings.
Here are some ideas on how you could use these materials:
- Treat it more like a worship service and do just the readings and music.
- Go through the entire program (with all or some of the readings and activities) in one sitting.
- Spread things out by picking one or more of the readings (with their music and activities) to do at various points during the Advent season.
A few more “how-to” tips:
- We’ve provided a link to Biblegateway.com for the various Scripture readings. Or you could choose to read them from your family Bible.
- There are a number of videos embedded in this program. You will need to have access to a computer or laptop or tablet—something that your family can sit around and easily view would be best.
- Go ahead and light some candles as part of this worshipful experience—an Advent wreath or whatever candles that you might have handy.
- None of the activities has a huge amount of prep, but you might want to check it out a little beforehand.
A PDF of the entire "program" is attached to this post.
What IS Advent?
Advent (from the Latin word for “coming”) is the beginning of the church year and prepares us for the coming of Christ.
The most obvious coming of Christ was when He was born at Christmas over 2000 years ago. But we also await His second coming—when He will return in power and glory on the Last Day. And we also remember that He is with us in the present in our everyday lives.
Advent is a time for:
Preparation—and looking thoughtfully at our lives
Remembering—the promises of God
Hope—as we rejoice in God’s promises and our salvation
Waiting—for Christmas and for when Christ will return again
This 2-minute video is a great overview of Advent.
Most of it is written words, so it would work for your kids with good reading ability.