Wedding at Cana
Computer Workshop Idea
Software: Let's Talk
Let's Talk (by Sunday Software) software program is now available FREE OF CHARGE to download here at Rotation.org to the supporting members of Rotation.org. It also includes a Teaching Guide. Learn more!
Following idea suggested by Sunday Software:
We did a Let’s-Talk lesson writing “Letters About the Wedding” that was quite fun.
The idea: Jehoshaphat was at the wedding and is writing to his friend Betty. They discuss what it means, who Jesus might be, and what to do NEXT with this information. Betty is a bit of a skeptic.
“Dear Betty, I was at this wedding over the weekend and you’ll never guess what happened.”
“Dear Jehosaphat, I don’t believe you! Who can turn water into wine and what do you think it means?”
Dear Betty, Here’s what the people there were saying to each other about Jesus. What do you think I should do next? How will I know he’s The One?”
You can do this a number of ways:
1) Have the TEACHER pose as “Betty the skeptic,” and pose questions to the kids at the computers who respond with the “Talk Now” module Ex: “Okay Jehosphat, you’re pulling my leg. WHO can turn water into wine and WHY would anyone do that? What are they trying to prove?”
2) You can have older kids use the “Conversation Now.” Here the students create two animated characters who can “instant message” back and forth to each other in a chat-like interface module at their workstations. Give each workstation a list of suggested questions to go through. You can also use this module in a small group and have everyone gather around, assigning some to be “believers” and some to be “skeptics in the the crowd” debating what happened and then coming up with a plan to “figure out who this Jesus is”… what they can do to investigate him and his message more closely.
Let’s Talk in a nutshell:
- Let’s Talk makes your computer speak aloud anything you type.
- In Let’s Talk’s “TALK NOW” module, students create an onscreen animated character, and then put words into his or her mouth to be spoken to the class. Whatever you or the kids type, their character will speak aloud. Most teachers use this to have student respond to their questions through their character.
- Let’s Talk’s LESSON BUILDER module gives you or the students a tool to build a spoken lesson, with spoken quiz questions and spoken discussion questions. It’s a great tool for the kids to build presentations for each other.
- Let’s talk is a great classroom tool for answering, discussing, debating, reflecting, rephrasing, -even praying, …because kids WANT to use it.