Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas about how we're going to REKINDLE Sunday School commitment and attendance habits lost during the COVID quarantine.
I will be adding more suggestions as well.
Welcoming your thoughts about "the return" of our exiles to in-church Sunday School and fellowship groups (when the time is right).
If the experts are right, getting everyone back together or on the same page is going to take some time.
- Rules and guidelines are constantly changing, and vary from place to place and between denominations. (Please always start your planning by looking at your local regulations.)
- Some parents may be hesitant and take a "wait and see" attitude.
- Many will want to know what your plans for "social distancing" are.
- Some leaders may not want to be responsible for bringing people back together.
- Some families will need their good attendance habits rekindled.
- Sizes of groups will likely be smaller.
- Some volunteers may be reluctant to come back.
- Some volunteers and kids may resist safe-distancing or not be good at it.
- Some types of activities should be restricted (such as singing, see post below).
- We've got a lot of work to do to prepare for the "return" -- whether it be at church or in other spaces.
"Returning" is an opportunity as well as a logistical challenge.
How are you planning to use this opportunity?
What message will be learned?
The story of Daniel, the Babylonian Exile, and the RETURN from Exile is instructive.
Daniel's story reminds us what was important, non-negotiable, worth risking your life for while in exile.
And when they were finally freed, they did not return to the "same old" 👀. Nehemiah and Ezra rebuilt, remodeled, and made Jerusalem better than ever.