This topic is sharing ideas and advice related to "re-opening" Sunday School and other children and youth ministries in our church buildings during the COVID-19 Pandemic (as quarantines lift).
Be sure to see the post below listing "Healthy Sunday School Practices" as kids and teachers return to the classroom.
We've never been here before but we need to do it right:
Getting everyone back together and on the same page is going to be challenging.
- New policies and healthy practices need to be enacted and enforced. (Sad to say that not everyone is taking the need to "reduce the spread" as seriously as others.)
- Some parents may be hesitant to send their kids to us and will take a "wait and see" attitude.
- Many parents and teachers will want to know what your plans for "social distancing" are.
- Some leaders and volunteers may not want to expose themselves to groups. Some volunteers may be reluctant to come back until they feel it is "safe."
- Some families will need their attendance habits rekindled.
- Some types of activities will need to be restricted (such as singing, see post below).
- We've got a lot of work to do to prepare for the "return" -- whether it be at church or in other spaces.
"Returning" is not just a challenge,
it's an opportunity to show competence and compassion,
as well as lift up the importance of your ministry.
How are you planning to use this opportunity?
What message will be heard?
The story of Daniel, the Babylonian Exile, and the RETURN from Exile is instructive.
Daniel's story reminds us what was important, non-negotiable, worth risking your life for while in exile.
And when they were finally freed, they did not return to the "same old" 👀. Nehemiah and Ezra rebuilt, remodeled, and made Jerusalem better than ever.