Video Lessons and Ideas for Teaching the Jacob stories, Including Jacob and Esau, and Jacob's Ladder, in Sunday School
Post your Sunday School video lessons and ideas for the Jacob stories, including Jacob and Esau, and Jacob's ladder here.
Jacob and Esau, Genesis 25, Genesis 27, Genesis 28, Isaac blesses Jacob, Jacob's Dream, Stairway to Heaven, Jacob and Laban, Leah, Rachel, Jacob Wrestles,
You are welcome to post your Sunday School lesson plans for the Jacob stories. Click "reply" at the end of this thread.
Summary of Lesson Activities:
Uses clips from two DVDs: “The Story of Jacob and Joseph” by Columbia Tristar Home Video – copyright by Milberg Theatrical Productions – https://www.sonypictures.com/m...toryofjacobandjoseph and “The Bible Collection – Jacob”, 1994 TNT Originals, Inc., Distributed by Warner Home Video.
- Read the story ahead of time.
- Preview the videos.
- Gather the materials.
1) “The Story of Jacob and Joseph” by Columbia Tristar Home Video – copyright by Milberg Theatrical Productions – https://www.sonypictures.com/m...toryofjacobandjoseph and
2) “The Bible Collection – Jacob”, 1994 TNT Originals, Inc., Distributed by Warner Home Video.
Advanced Preparation Requirements:
- Have the first video ready to go when the kids arrive.
- Pop the popcorn
Opening- Welcome and Lesson Introduction:
Greet the children and introduce yourself.
Read: The story
Practice: The memory verse
(Teacher: In order for this to go smoothly, you need to understand the story and be familiar with when to start/stop the DVDs. Please practice with the church’s DVD. Not all DVD players are alike. Know how to work the fast forward button and how to skip chapters.)
Tell the kids: We will be watching 4 different clips from 2 different movie companies. As we watch them, you will see that they are played by different actors. Esau is played by a hairy-red haired man. Jacob is more clean cut. Isaac is old. Rebekah usually has a cloth covering her hair. Remember that Jacob and Esau are twins.
Dig- Main Content and Reflection:
Video #1: “The Story of Jacob and Joseph” by Columbia Tristar Home Video – copyright by Milberg Theatrical Productions – https://www.sonypictures.com/m...toryofjacobandjoseph (Start on chapter 4)
Before starting say:
- We are studying Jacob’s ladder this rotation. There wasn’t a video devoted just to Jacob’s ladder, so we choose to include some of the story leading up to it.
- This first scene is about Jacob stealing the birthright from his older twin. Remember the birthright was given to the oldest son. He was given a double portion of the money and goods when the father died. This scene is about the younger son, Jacob, stealing the older son’s birthright when Esau was so hungry he didn’t care.
- Remember also, Jacob was human. He wasn’t perfect. But God had a plan for Jacob anyway. God has a plan for us, too.
Let’s watch Jacob as he talks to his mother, Rebekah.
Watch Chapter 4 and 5 - stop when Esau starts eating out of the pot of stew (pause at chapter 6).
Before starting say:
- This part is about the blessing. The blessing was a special saying handed down to the oldest son by the father. It was a special honor to receive the blessing. Rebekah and Jacob trick Isaac into giving Jacob the blessing instead of the older son, Esau.
- In this clip, Isaac talks about Yewah. Who is that? (Yewah is another name for God.)
Let’s watch as Isaac prepares to give the blessing to his son.
Press play and continue watching. Watch chapters 6 - 8 – stop after Rebekah sends Jacob to Haran – when Jacob walks away with the donkeys.
Change to the second video.
Video #2: “The Bible Collection – Jacob” – 1994 TNT Originals, Inc – Distributed by Warner Home Video, Inc (has some PG-13 bedroom scenes – be careful on what you show to the kids) Start on chapter 3.
Part #1: (Leaving to Haran and Jacob’s Ladder)
Before starting say:
- This part is about Jacob’s ladder. This takes place after the blessing. Jacob is sent to Haran to live with his uncle until Esau’s anger has cooled down. On the way to Haran, Jacob lays his head on a rock to rest. He has a dream.
- This video is from a different company, so there are different actors playing the parts. This scene starts with Rebekah talking with Jacob. Then, Isaac sends Jacob to Haran.
Start on chapter 3 – watch Jacob talking to Isaac and receiving the blessing.
- Then fast forward to the spot where Jake lays his head down on a rock, then continue watching (this bypasses the non-biblical part where Esau tracks Jacob down and takes his money/animals)
Pause the DVD after Jacob wakes up and gets done talking (end with Jacob saying: he will set aside a 10th plot for Him)
Part #2: (Reunion with Esau and Wrestling with God)
Skip ahead to chapter 10
Before starting say:
- This clip talks about the reunion of Jacob and Esau. Jacob is uneasy about how his brother will receive him. Remember the unrest between the two over the blessing and the birthright. After they meet, there is forgiveness and they became friends again.
- This clip also includes when Jacob wrestles with God. Note that Jacob’s hip gets hurt and he walks with a limp.
Watch chapter 10
Stop after Jacob and Esau hug and Esau says, “God has blessed you indeed.”
- Esau gave away his birthright for a bowl of stew. He didn’t receive his father’s blessing either. Jacob got everything. Esau was mad! At the end, Jacob and Esau were reunited and forgiveness was given. How hard was that for Esau to forgive his brother? Do you think God was at work to help Esau?
- If someone does/says something wrong to you, how hard is it for you to forgive them? Do you say you forgive them, but not forget – hold a grudge? How can we forgive and forget? (Prayer, put ourselves in their position)
- Jacob stole his brother’s birthright with his mother’s help. Why do you think he did that? (We don’t know. Greed? God directed him? We know that when his mother was pregnant with the twins, God spoke to her and said that the older would serve the younger.)
- Rebekah and Isaac each had a favorite child. They wanted to help their favored son. Does this seem fair? (No) Is life always fair? (No) What do we do about it – if things don’t go smoothly for you – or someone gets more “breaks” than you do? (Learn that life is not fair – know that there may be a reason for what happened, you may not know what that reason is, remember God is in control – maybe you are to “grow” on the inside, learning patience and wisdom- always turn to God)
- On the way to Haran, Jacob had a dream. There was a stairway stretching from the heavens down to earth. What was on the stairway? (Angels going up and coming down)
- Who was standing at the top of the stairs? (God)
- What did God say? (I am the God of your father and grandfather. You will multiply and have many descendents. I will not leave you.)
- Jacob was not perfect. He was human. Why do you think He chose Jacob to be such a strong leader? (God had a plan – He was Isaac’s son, Abraham’s grandson)
- What do you think God has in mind for you? What’s God plan for you? Will you be willing to serve Him?
End with a prayer.
A Sunday School lesson written by Rachel Haugland from: Elim Lutheran Church