Video, A-V Lessons, Ideas, Activities, and Resources for Holy Week
Post your Sunday School video, A-V lessons, ideas, activities, and resources for Holy Week here.
- Please include a scripture reference, supply lists, sources, suggested age range. age modification, etc.
- Photos are much appreciated! Click "attachments" and upload to your post.
- Please be careful not to post copyrighted materials. Excerpting and paraphrasing is okay. Include attribution.
Including: Cross, Jesus, Caiaphas, Pilate, Scourging, Nails, Centurion, Golgotha, Place of the Skull, Calvary, Empty Tomb, Resurrection, Women, Mary Magdalene,, Gardner, Peter, and related stories. Matthew 26, Mark 14, Mark 16, Luke 22, John 18, Matthew 28, Mark 16, John 20:1-18, Luke 24, resurrection, etc.
Bible lessons for Holy Week -with video, audio-visual, movie, video-tape, animated Bible, etc.
A lesson outline by member Hillary S.
This lesson uses part of the ""Jesus & His Times" DVD documentary by Questar.
Moderator notes: Questar's "Jesus and His Times" uses footage from the Jesus Film as it's main source, but instead we hear a narrator and Jesus speaks in Aramaic. It also intersperses artwork and illustrations to focus on certain topics. We recommend you use "Jesus", aka The Jesus Film instead (pictured) http://www.jesusfilm.org/watch.html .
Matthew 21: 1 – 11, 26:1-5, 14 – 30, 36-56
- Read the bible passage.
- Watch the video ahead of time.
- Have the movie ready to go.
- Pop the popcorn
- "Jesus & His Times" DVD by Questar (available through Questar or Vision video)
- Popcorn & water
Greet the children and introduce yourself. Explain how today's lesson will unfold and what you hope they'll learn.
Show the Video
You will be using the “Jesus & His Times" video (details below) for this lesson. Prepare popcorn and some water for drinking. Settle the children and introduce the video.
Run the video starting at “The Final Days” section. It is about 5 minutes into the video. Here are the scenes that will be viewed:
- Palm Sunday- Jesus enters Jerusalem, Jerusalem today
- The Temple in Jesus’ Day - money changers, Temple authorities, Passover, Caiaphas
- Mount of Olives (You can skip this section about the olive press –resume where Jesus kneels for prayer on the Mount.
- The inner precincts of the Temple, sacrifice, priests, rituals
- Passover feast – how they put Jesus to death, Last Supper, arrest, Messiah? , Pilate, Crucifixion explained
Debriefing the story...
What did the students learn about life in Jerusalem in Jesus’ day?
(They should have noticed that the Temple dominated the city both visually and in daily life. It was the focus for so much, was a place of trade and ritual and prayer.)
What were the Romans doing in Jerusalem? (The Romans tolerated the Jews and their worship but recognized that major festivals, like Passover, were dangerous times…why might the people revolt? They expect a Messiah warrior who will save them from worldly forces…they are under occupation.)
What happened at the Temple on a daily basis? (sacrifices, prayer, teaching)
What did Jesus do at the Temple? (First, we see him clearing out the money-changers, then we see him teaching there. What do they make of these two?)
What was Passover and how is it connected to the Last Supper and Lord's Supper/Communion?
What was Jesus accused of having done?
What is significant about the crown of thorns and the sign nailed above his head? (Jesus was mocked. They didn't believe him. Have you ever been made fun of? The sign was to announce his sentence, "This man said he was King of the Jews." It is ironic that Pilate said to leave the sign.
What BIG ENDING to the story did we stop short of seeing? (Resurrection)
Write these statements on index cards, shuffle them, and pass them out. Do this two or three times so that everyone has to answer several questions. If they get the same question twice, have them answer your "bonus" question (seen below).
Questions for the Cards:
- If I had been there when they arrested Jesus, I would have _____________________.
- If I had been there when they crucified Jesus, I would have ______________________
- When I think about what happened to Jesus, I feel _______________________.
- Name something a person can do to "reject" Jesus today.
- Bonus: I am grateful to God because Jesus gives me: ________________.
Pray with thanks for the life and death of Jesus, for his teaching and his suffering. Pray that we might be changed by that, by wanting to follow him more and not sin any more.
A lesson written by member Hilary