Ideas for Summer Sunday School and Children's Ministry
Creative programming ideas from our community
This topic is a collection of great ideas and resources for summer ministry from our creative community. Many of these ideas were shared at our May 2022 Summer Ideas Roundtable Coffee Chat. Read the summary and watch the YouTube video of the roundtable! (more about that below)
Note: "VBS" has its own forum here.
Please reply and post your own favorite ways to make summer programming for children and families at your church special!
- VBS Ideas ---several topics including alternatives to VBS
- Should we do Summer Sunday School for kids?
- POLL: Does Your Church Continue or Take a Break from Sunday School in the Summer?
- How do you end your Rotation Sunday School year?
- Summer Adaptations to the Workshop Rotation Model
- SURVEY: What Bible stories do you like to teach in the summer
- Teacher Appreciation, Ideas, discussion
An Outreach Ideas Resource: "Connecting and Caring Beyond the Classroom"
Intentional teacher outreach to students beyond the classroom is both a personal blessing and a great opportunity to minister to kids and grow better students. This article from our Teacher Training Forum shares 13 ideas for reaching out.
Links to lessons, resources, and program ideas elsewhere at Rotation.org that include content specifically written with summer in mind.
- Camp Bible Wahoo! A Summer Sunday School
- "Cruising with Paul" (a summer of workshop lessons) --from St John Lutheran
- Passports with Paul (a summer of workshop lesson plans)
- Fruit of the Spirit - Intergenerational Summer Lesson Series from First Pres, Napa
- VBS and Themed sets of lessons about more than one story
- Suggested Summer Bible Stories for the Workshop Rotation Model (in the Rotation startup articles)