This topic is for posting Bible Skills and Game Workshop lessons and ideas for teaching Jonah.
Replies sorted oldest to newest
"God Says/Jonah Does "
What happened when God told Jonah to go to Ninevah? He went in the opposite direction. We’re playing God Says/Jonah does. It’s just like Simon Says, except you need to do the opposite of what God says, just like Jonah did.
I’ll be God first.
God says “Stand Up” (the kids should all be seated or lying down)
God says “Sit down” (the kids should stand up)
God says “Take a step forward” (the kids should take a step backward)
God says “Take a step backward”
God says “Walk towards the door”
God says “yell”
God says “whisper”
If the kids are enjoying the game, let them take turns being God.
- How did it feel to do the opposite of what you were told to do?
- Do ever feel just contrary or stubborn and not want to do what people say?
- Why did Jonah not want to do what God told him? (the people in Nineveh were Israel’s enemies)
Second Chance Tag
In this game of freeze tag, one person is IT and the another person goes around unfreezing people, giving them another chance to play, just like Jonah got a second chance to do God’s will and the people of Nineveh got a second chance to do things right.
Pick an IT and a second-chance granter and let the fun begin!
Swap roles after a minute or so.
- Why do you think God gave the people in Nineveh a second chance?
- Do you get do-overs at home, school, or in sports?
- Does anyone play piano or sports? Do you have to practice to get things right? Sometimes we need a chance to do things again and again to learn the right way to do them.
- God forgave the people of Nineveh. How many times will God forgive us? (as many as it takes)