Jesus and Peter on the Water
Computer Lesson Idea
Notes by Neil MacQueen
The Writing Team's Lesson Set for Peter Sinks, Jesus Saves! has my full computer lab lesson plan in it. Because that's only available to Supporting Members, I'm only going to briefly mention how I teach Jesus and Peter Walking on Water with software.
Students will learn the story using Life of Christ CD (older) or Play and Learn Children’s Bible CD (younger).
- After viewing the story in the software (and taking the quiz in Life of Christ CD about it) they will do a “walking demonstration” about keeping focused on Jesus.
- They will then look at the comforting words of Psalm 46.
- If time allows or for a follow-up lesson, they can practice Psalm 46 as a memory verse using Cal and Marty’s Scripture Memory Game CD.
I've been wanting to do this story as a "radio broadcast" (thanks to another Rotation member for reminding me of this great teaching technique with computers!) What you do is prepare a SCRIPT on the computer, and then use one computer as a "tele-prompter" displaying the script, while you use another computer to RECORD the radio-show version.
One of the reasons I like the radio show idea for THIS particular story is that the story has lots of characters and great sounds: wind, waves, screaming, sloshing about... which are fun for kids with non-speaking roles to include in the recording (like they do in live radio broadcasts).
Laptops are a great choice here as they have built-in microphones and recording software. But let me put in a plug for downloading a FREE audio recording program called AUDACITY. Audacity allows your students to quickly EDIT out (or edit in) additional content. If an actor messes up, you don't have to start over.
Record other content or "alternate endings" to this story, such as...
- Peter's reasons for not getting into the water
- Other disciples shouting out their problems as they walk which cause them to sink.
- A Commercial for how faith can help you walk through stormy seas
- Alternate settings (other than water) where Jesus invites YOU to share your faith in school with a friend, ...but you get scared. Or Jesus asks you to get serious about coming to worship, but you sink because you don't like something about worship, etc.