- The Visit of the Wise Men By: Martha Jander, Lin Wang, Concordia, 2007, Hardcover (10" x 9"), OUT OR PRINT - still found online. Paperback (8.75" X 6.35") 9780758613455. Note: Pictures are lovely and the story is nicely done.
- The Fourth King by Ted Sieger, Candlewick Press, 2006, 0763631213.
From the Publisher: A kindhearted king plays a bigger role in the Nativity than he realizes in this ode to unsung heroes everywhere. Once upon a time, three kings came out of a distant land and followed a star across the desert. You may know them as the Wise Men, or perhaps the magi-bearers of gold, frankincense, and myrrh for a newborn child. What few know is that another king set out on the long and difficult journey, a king named Mazzel who, unlike the well-sung trio, arrived too late and empty-handed. First there was the frightened nomad girl who needed rescuing from a sandstorm, then the lost merchant caravan in need of a guide, and more crises along the route. What was Mazzel to do? Based on the short story "The Other Wise Man" by Henry Van Dyke.
- Humphrey's First Christmas, By: Carol Heyer, Ideals Publications Inc / 2007 / Hardcover / 9780824955595.
Told from the perspective of Humphrey the camel. Gorgeous real-life drawings, each page is amazing. Humphrey's cold and has lost his blanket. He does everything he can to get his master's attention and in the end realizes the best thing of all is a baby in a stable who he gives his blanket to.
- "The Third Gift" by Linda Sue Park and Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Clarion Books, 2011, Hardcover, 9780547201955. Great book about Myrrh for your Wise Men Rotation
Lovely fictional story of where the Myrrh came from purchased by the Wise Men as a gift for baby Jesus. The story is of a young boy going with his father to harvest "tears" of a resin known as myrrh. During the harvest the boy finds a very large "tear" which is later purchased by the wise men at market. Incredible pictures, but note the story stops after the purchase and the boy "wonders about the baby". "Includes biblical references and historical information about the Magi and myrrh production and usage.
"Great size for sharing with your class 11.6" L x 9.3" W. To see sample pages check out this link at Christianbook.com
I recommend you also purchase a bottle of Myrrh (anointing oil) and Myrrh (globlets) in it's original form. Search on-line (Christianbook.com for example.) I found giving the children (of any age) the actual material that they can see it, smell it, and feel it, is an unforgettable experience!
I made up 3 wooden boxes, containing Myrrh and Frankincense in both forms, original and anointing oil, in their perspective box. The gold box I simply filled with fake gold coins and gold (fake) jewellery. I read them the book "The Visit of the Wise Men" (above), then gave them information on what the material was worth then, compared to now. Passed around the boxes and had lots of discussion. The kids and other teachers loved it! Falls in my top 10 favourite workshops of all time, of bringing the bible story to life!
- Song "The 12 Days of Christmas". Check out http://www.crivoice.org/cy12days.html for the "meanings" of the gifts in the song. Posted by MMB
- Any lesson to do with stars or light would be appropriate here. If you have a planetarium in your area, they may have some great information. Also, check this out for information on star watching and navigating by the stars: http://www.skyandtelescope.com...cts-and-experiments/ Posted by MMB