Jesus' Birth Through the Eyes of Isaiah and the Prophets
Summary of Lesson Activity:
Uses the DVD "The Legend of the Three Trees".
Isaiah 9:2-6; 11:1-2
- To locate the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament.
- To be able to name several other prophet’s names.
- To see the characteristics of the Christ Child, thru the eyes of Isaiah.
- Review the movie.
- “The Legend of the Three Trees” (Tommy Nelson) running time 30 minutes.
Note: This wonderful video can be previewed on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktYroQP5A1c
Opening- Welcome and Lesson Introduction
Greet the children and introduce yourself.
Dig- Main Content and reflection
- The Prophets are a major portion of the Old Testament writings. Their writings make up 16 books, which use the prophet’s name as a title.
- A prophet was a messenger of God to the people of that day. Their major task was to call the people back to the way of God. The prophet’s life was often filled with frustration, and rejection. They spoke against violence, oppression, greed, dishonesty and idolatry.
- Isaiah was a Hebrew prophet, the son of Amoz of Jerusalem. He was pa prophet during the years 742-700 BC, in and around Jerusalem.
- Our verses speak about a child, who would be their deliverer, the Messiah. The area spoken of in chapter9, Zebulun and Naphtali, was generally the area in which Jesus grew as a child and later ministered.
- “A great light”, “authority”, wonderful counselor”, mighty God”, “Prince of Peace”, all give us a different understanding of the Christ Child.
- In chapter 11, the prophet ties the birth of the Messiah to the family of Jesse and to King David.
- Play the Movie
- The Movie is about three trees each with its own hopes, dreams, and aspirations. Their dreams don’t seem to come true. Disappointed and dejected, the trees despair about their existence until they all interact in some way with Jesus Christ in His birth, ministry and finally his ultimate sacrifice. They find God has a special purpose for all of them in his kingdom.
- Did any of the trees’ dreams come true?
- Can your dreams not come true yet things work out anyway?
Prayer: Lord, Please help make my hopes and dreams come true. Amen
A lesson written by Amy Crane, from: River Community Church
Baton Rouge, LA
A representative of Rotation.org reformatted this post to improve readability.